The Woden Experiment has been extended!
Project status: In Progress
How you had YourSay:
We are re-energising the Woden Town Square through the #WodenExperiment.
Initial comments were sought on potential activities and events that could be part of the #WodenExperiment activation of the Woden Town Square.
Thank you to everyone who provided feedback on the #WodenExperiment from September to November 2018.
The #WodenExperiment opened to the public on 6 March 2019 and will be available for the community to enjoy until early 2020.
If you've visited and experienced the #WodenExperiment, we want to know what you thought. Fill out our short survey and provide your feedback.
What we looked at:
The design includes activity hubs, including a work hub and community hub. Key design elements include a stage for community performances, smart benches with phone and laptop charging, flexible table settings next to areas set aside for pop up food and drink vendors, turf areas with natural play sculptural elements and an outdoor table tennis facility.
We asked the community for ideas to activate the space.
The ideas put forward included:
- developing an arts and cultural development program
- live music and after work drinks
- using the Woden Experiment facilities for meetings and catch ups
- fundraising BBQs by community organisations and groups
- screening local sports and short films.
The feedback also touched on the design including:
- a vision for a play space for kids and adults alongside al fresco dining and cafes
- ensuring that the activation is accessible
- creating a smoke free culture in the square and smoke free zones
- sculptural elements that kids can climb on
- providing shelter and active surveillance
- protection from the wind and heat radiation.
The installation of temporary furniture and landscape elements will encourage the community to stay, use and enjoy the space with family and friends. It will build on the success of similar installations for the 2016 #BackyardExperiment and 2018 micro park pop up at Woden Library.
How we used your views:
We have been able to consider these comments in the final design. The design has been updated to include temporary natural sculptural elements for play. The creation of smoke free zones within the square for the #WodenExperiment are currently being investigated, particularly where there are areas for eating and play.
There will be some shelter provision, however the activation will not be able to mitigate all weather as it is an outdoor plaza.
Project evaluation will be undertaken throughout the six month activation.
Share your ideas:
We are calling on organisations, groups and individuals to propose activities and events suitable for autumn and winter. Please send in a one page outline of your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch.
We are also interested to hear people’s stories and connections to the square. Please get in touch if you have a story you would like to tell.
Some ideas for activities from early consultations include:
- DIY community craft workshops
- a series of before/after work fitness, dance or martial arts class tasters or demonstrations
- regular meetings in the work hub
- using the community hub for a playgroup, a different catch up place for your interest/ hobby group, creating a small art exhibition
- planning a performance or concert
- a busking competition
- or perhaps your organisation or company would be interested in sponsoring and arranging a local festival, market, film night, or pop up for food and drinks.