AIE has been a tenant of Canberra Technology Park site since 1996. In 2014 the Government received an Investment Proposal Guidelines (IPG) submission from the AIE to develop an education precinct at Canberra Technology Park.
After extensive community consultation, site investigations and a need to renew the ageing infrastructure at Canberra Technology Park, in April 2019 the ACT Government made three key decisions about the future of Canberra Technology Park:
- to demolish and remediate the buildings on the site, prior to the sale of land;
- to retain responsibility for public green space, including any upgrade and ongoing maintenance as part of any sale process; and
- to enter into direct negotiations with the Academy of Interactive Entertainment (AIE) with a view to reaching agreement on the terms for a direct sale of land to AIE.
- What are AIE's plans for the site?
- What are the key features of the project?
- When will the work begin?
- Will AIE consult with the community on its plans?
- What will happen with parking around the site and the impact on residential streets?
- Why is the ACT Government opting for a direct sale process with AIE?
- What will happen with the green space?
- How will the demolition take place?
- What is the nature of the asbestos contamination?