Thanks for sharing your feedback and ideas on the future use of the Canberra Technology Park site in Watson.
Feedback received during the consultation is currently being compiled and reviewed. A consultation report will be made available in coming weeks, check back in for updates.
How to have YourSay:
This consultation is now closed for comment.
There are a variety of ways for all interested Canberrans to have their say on the future of the Canberra Technology Park site (Block 1, Section 13 Watson).
Share your views by:
- Taking the quick poll and Canberra Technology Park survey
- Dropping a comment pin on the interactive map
- Filling out the survey and sharing your ideas at one of our many community events
We are looking at:
The Canberra Technology Park site, on the corner of Windeyer St and Phillip Avenue is a public asset that was once a high school from 1965 to 1988. Shortly after, Canberra Institute of Technology (CIT) took over the site and the Academy of Interactive Entertainment (AIE) and Canberra City Band have been the main tenants at the site. We know this is an important site for many Canberrans, whether it’s because they used to go to Watson High, because they’ve worked at the site, or because they use the oval.
We want to know what you love about the site and what improvements you would like to see if it is redeveloped. Specifically:
- Do you support the redevelopment and revitalisation of this site as a higher education and enhanced community precinct?
- What are the most important features of the site that should be included in a new development?
- Would you support multilevel student accommodation on the site if it preserves more of the available public green space?
- How could the existing public green space be enhanced?
We will use your views to:
Determine if there is community support for the redevelopment and revitalisation of this site as a higher education and enhanced community precinct, which would include student accommodation and preserve public green space for the whole community to enjoy. If there is support, we will conduct a competitive Request for Tender process with strict criteria around any future use of the site limited to higher education and student accommodation.
Thanks to everyone who shared their ideas on the future site use of the Canberra Technology Park site Sunday 4 March.
Comment on the Map
Take the Survey
Canberra Technology Park Survey
This consultation has been prompted by the need to renew the ageing infrastructure at Canberra Technology Park, and an unsolicited proposal received from The Academy of Interactive Entertainment (AIE), a tenant at the site since 1997.
The AIE has approached the government to enhance their current operations, transforming the site into a state-of-the-art learning and technology hub over the next 10 years.
- Why is the ACT Government consulting on this site?
- What will happen during the consultation?
- Subject to community support, what could possible upgrades include?
- How much student accommodation would be provided on the site?
- Is parking being considered?
- What are the current planning rules around building heights for this site?
- What benefits would revitalising the site bring to the Canberra community?
- What is the ACT Government doing to ensure there continues to be public green space for the community to use?
- Will the community’s input really affect the outcome of the consultation?
- Is there detailed information about what is proposed for the site?