How you had YourSay:
Consultation on the future use of Canberra Technology Park took place from 5 February to 16 March 2018. During this period, there were a variety of ways in which community members could have their say, including:
- Taking the quick poll and Canberra Technology Park survey
- Dropping a comment pin on the interactive map
- Filling out the hard-copy survey and sharing their ideas at the Dickson, Hackett or Watson pop up information stalls, or the North Canberra Community Council meeting
- Face to face meetings with community groups and stakeholders
- Providing their feedback in person by attending the Community Picnic on Sunday 4 March
What we heard:
Thanks for sharing your feedback and ideas on the future use of the Canberra Technology Park site in Watson.
You can read a summary that provides a snapshot of the feedback the community provided during the consultation in the What We Heard Report. This is an interim report - once a decision has been made on the future use of Canberra Technology Park and next steps, a final report will be made available on YourSay that outlines the Government’s decision and responds to matters raised during consultation.
The Government is currently considering community responses to the consultation and determining next steps for the redevelopment of this site, and a consultation report will be published to YourSay outlining the Government response. As this is required to be reviewed by Cabinet, this will occur prior to the end of 2018.
We will update this page with progress in the coming months. To ensure you are kept informed of these updates, please subscribe to the YourSay newsletter.
We are looking at:
The Canberra Technology Park site, on the corner of Windeyer St and Phillip Avenue, is a public asset that was previously occupied by Watson High School from 1965 to 1988. Shortly after, Canberra Institute of Technology (CIT) took over the site. The Academy of Interactive Entertainment (AIE) and Canberra City Band have been the main tenants at the site in recent years.
We know this is an important site for many Canberrans, whether it’s because they used to go to Watson High School, because they’ve worked at the site, or because they use the oval.
During the consultation period, we asked what you love about the site and what improvements you would like to see if it is redeveloped. Specifically:
- Do you support the redevelopment and revitalisation of this site as a higher education and enhanced community precinct?
- What are the most important features of the site that should be included in a new development?
- Would you support multilevel student accommodation on the site if it preserves more of the available public green space?
- How could the existing public green space be enhanced?
Your views are being used to:
The ACT Government is carefully considering all feedback received during the consultation period, and the outcome of site investigations.
Once a decision has been made on the future of the site in the coming months, a final report will be made available on YourSay. The report will outline the Government’s decision, respond to matters raised during consultation, and outline next steps.
This consultation was prompted by the need to renew the ageing infrastructure at Canberra Technology Park, and an unsolicited proposal received from The Academy of Interactive Entertainment (AIE), a tenant at the site since 1997.
The AIE has approached the government to enhance their current operations, transforming the site into a state-of-the-art learning and technology hub over the next 10 years.
- Where can we find the key outcomes of the consultation?
- When can we expect a decision to be made?
- Are you going to release a more detailed consultation report?
- Does this mean the Government is going to proceed with the sale of the site?
- What will happen to the site if it is not redeveloped and revitalised as a higher education and enhanced community precinct?
- Why were site investigations done for the site?
- Will the community get another chance to have their say on this site? When?
- Why is the ACT Government consulting on this site?
- What will happen during the consultation?
- Subject to community support, what could possible upgrades include?
- How much student accommodation would be provided on the site?
- Is parking being considered?
- What are the current planning rules around building heights for this site?
- What benefits would revitalising the site bring to the Canberra community?
- What is the ACT Government doing to ensure there continues to be public green space for the community to use?
- Will the community’s input really affect the outcome of the consultation?
- Is there detailed information about what is proposed for the site?