Project status: In Progress
How you had YourSay:
The Office for Mental Health and Wellbeing is working closely with the community, including people with lived experience of mental illness, carers, service providers and government, to enhance the mental health and wellbeing of all Canberrans.
We aim to keep people well, living their best possible life. We also want to ensure that when people need help and support – they can access the right services, at the right time.
Between 4 February and 7 March 2019, you’ve been able to have YourSay on mental health and wellbeing priority areas. You’ve been able to do this by completing our online form.
By having YourSay you’ve played a part in helping us plan and prioritise the work of the Office for Mental Health and Wellbeing moving forward.
We are looking at:
We have been working across the community to develop the priority areas for mental health and wellbeing. These priorities will help us guide future projects and we want your views on them.
Our early engagement across ACT and the community sector has identified the following mental health and wellbeing priority areas:
- increased focus on prevention and early support. This includes:
- fostering positive mental health and wellbeing across the community.
- improving general health and wellbeing (e.g. physical health promotion)
- reducing the demand on health services.
- improved holistic outcomes for people with mental illness through a renewed focus on the social determinants of health. This includes: greater access to suitable accommodation, education, employment and meaningful activity and increased social connections.
- coordinated services that ‘wrap’ around an individual, so that individuals don’t need to have to navigate the system.
- improved coordinated holistic approaches for vulnerable population groups.
- reduced suicide attempts and suicide deaths, through better integration of suicide prevention services.
- ongoing appropriate and considered Consumer and Carer engagement and participation.
- increased capacity to grow, develop and sustain an effective mental health workforce, including peer workers.
- further targeted research and evaluation.
The priority areas for mental health and wellbeing are important as they help us work with the community and across government to ensure we’re focussing our efforts and work in the right areas.
By capturing your views, you’re helping us to develop and guide future projects.
Your views are being used to:Your feedback is helping to create projects and programs that focus on the priorities for mental health and wellbeing that Canberrans want and need.
If you need immediate support and assistance, please call Access Mental Health on 1800 629 354 or 02 6205 1065. Access Mental Health offer mental health services that are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. These services give you access to assessment and treatment services and offer advice and information on a range of mental health issues.