Garema Place and City Walk are at the heart and soul of Civic.
The City Renewal Authority is leading the ACT Government’s program to revitalise central Canberra, encouraging greater social interaction, economic growth and diversity of activity. Giving Civic a new beat is an important part of reaching this vision, and achieving it will require the cooperation of and input from all sectors of industry, government and all Canberrans.
Building on nearly ten years’ worth of previous consultation and research, we are developing a place plan and public realm design concepts, including reviewing current policies, to encourage a revitalised network of public spaces taking in Garema Place, City Walk, Petrie Plaza and Ainslie Place.
While acknowledging that there are some architectural gems, fond places, and iconic artworks and businesses within the area, there is clear evidence that is not currently working as well as it could, it doesn’t have great accessibility, and not everyone feels safe and comfortable there. We want to change this.
How to have YourSay
There are a number of ways you can get involved during this project:
- Register for a walking conversation, a one-hour guided tour of the project area
- Comment on the 'big moves' we are considering through an online survey, which will be available soon
- Come to a pop-up event later this year to see the draft place plan and public realm design options
- Come back to this page to give detailed feedback in our online questionnaire once the draft place plan and public realm design options are released
- Register to stay up-to-date on the project and related events
How we will use your views
Many people have already contributed their ideas for a revitalised Civic. We have reviewed this feedback and incorporated it into the foundation of our work.
In this project, we will be exploring all options – from the big and bold, to the small and subtle, and everything in-between. Nothing is off the table. Soon you will be able to have a say on some of the big issues we need to consider as a part of this project. Later this year you will be able to look at early design ideas and let us know what you think. This will help us develop the final designs which we are aiming to release in December.